Sunday, May 22, 2011

810 RSS Reflection

Though I'm considered to be a part of the "tech savvy" generation, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not even close to being an all-knowing technological guru. Prior to taking this course, I didn't even know what RSS stood for. I had heard of "feeds" and just assumed they were headlines online. I have to say, I have become more accustomed to tracking news that's relevant to me and see the educational and personal advantages of using a RSS Reader page. Currently I'm tracking several feeds that are relevant to education, but I'm also tracking feeds that cover current news. A professional (and personal) goal of mine is to become more aware of world events. As educators, I think it's imperative that we are knowledgeable about what is happening around the globe so we can help students make connections between classroom knowledge and the real world.


One news feed I'm currently following is NPR Topics. Since I first created my Google Reader page, I have noticed that the number of new items on NPR's feed greatly surpasses any of my education related feeds. Granted, due to the broad scope of NPR's topics, it's only logical that incoming news stories far exceed "new news" regarding technology or education. Additionally, I've noticed that NPR's most current topics focus on politics, most specifically topics related to the war in Iraq, which is not unlike any other news media. I do have to do a bit more searching to find new news on less popular topics. 


Since having a RSS Reader is new to me, I have not yet developed the habit of being consistent in checking my updated feeds (i.e. I have not gotten to the "Facebook" stage of checking, re-checking, and re-re-checking on an hourly basis). Though I have to make a conscious effort to check my feeds, I do enjoy reading the most current information regarding topics I'm most interested in. The focus of my SIG is social media, and as everyone knows, the Internet is constantly evolving. Even now as I type, it's changing. Using a RSS Reader helps me to become more knowledgeable and helps me apply that knowledge in the classroom.


With that being said, I can see how RSS Reader pages can be especially useful in the classroom. For example, teachers could use them to help focus students' attentions to a particular topic. Also, the very concept of an RSS reader is "saying something" to students in regards to the importance of staying aware of current news and navigating through relevant and reliable information on the Internet. For example, if a student subscribes to a particular feed and has already verified its reliability, he/she can feel comfortable relying on the information that "pours" in from that source. In addition, the current content of my own RSS Reader page benefits my students because I am learning more about integrating technology into the classroom, which directly influences my lessons and objectives for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment