Wednesday, August 3, 2011

811 Online Teaching Experiences

Technology changes the way we, as teachers, and our students interact in the classroom, and there are several online resources and technologies that have the potential to transform the way students approach learning. One of the most useful technologies I've encountered are WebQuests because they are structured, inquiry-based, and support independent learning. I currently teach high school English and math and can easily see how WebQuests can be beneficial in both content areas; however, I do have a specific objective of capitalizing on the benefits of WebQuests in planning for the new Applied Math course I will be teaching this fall. This particular course is geared toward students who struggled in Algebra I and/or Geometry and show a need for an alternative to Algebra II. With that being said, I believe that using a WebQuest at the beginning of the year that involves students exploring the role mathematics plays in certain professions will capitalize on students' interests and help them make real-world connections. I believe this is a beneficial pedagogical strategy that will help engage students who might otherwise feel detached from class material. I've been working on creating this WebQuest and hope that it does have a positive effect on my students this fall.


As I mentioned earlier, there are so many resources and technologies available for students, each having their own benefits and pitfalls. Knowing the composition of one's classroom is especially important when using these technologies because though all have the potential to enhance student learning, not all technologies work well with all students. One of the technologies that I have found to be more challenging is online discussion between students. Though this may seem surprising to some, I find that assessing student learning through online discussion becomes difficult. For instance, if the requirement for an assignment is two online posts or responses, and a student doesn't necessarily have something new or particularly engaging to share, I don't think he/she should be penalized for not responding to that particular topic; however, there are alternatives to assessing these posts. For instance, revising the requirement to five posts over the course of the semester gives students more autonomy in their learning because they can choose which topics to contribute to. Overall, as a teacher and learner, I prefer discussions in person, but also realize that because our world becomes "smaller" every day via new technologies, students need to learn how to professionally interact in online discussions and forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment