Thursday, August 4, 2011

812 Mobile Learning Lab

I spent some time exploring Classroom 2.0 and liked the various features (webinars, recordings, etc.) that are available for educators. I added it to my RSS feed, and I'm looking forward to reading more posts when I have some extra time. Below is the screenshot of a post I responded to in regards to including social media in the classroom.


Additionally, with exploring the various roles mobile learning can have in the classroom, I created four survey questions that I plan to use with my incoming American Lit classes this fall. The focus of the four questions is on reading. What I like about this particular website is that there are many ways to poll students. For instance, it can be an online website, polled via text messages, embedded into a Prezi, etc. Below is the link to the reading survey. I have also attached a screenshot of what the "text message" poll looks like.



I was first introduced to text message polling through a fellow intern at MSU who experimented with it for one of his case studies. He did say that it was a bit time consuming to get permission from the principal and from parents (in regards to text messaging rates), but thought it was well worth it. This was two years ago, and most Acceptable Use Policies have been modified since then to accommodate for mobile technology in the classroom. I know that the high school where I teach plans to modify our AUP for this fall. I think using text messaging polls/surveys can be beneficial for gathering inventory on students for particular purposes (i.e. opinions about reading) or for short answer questions. For instance, I could see this being a great "quick quiz" tool for grammar or vocabulary. Prior to using this in my class though, I will have to get permission from my principal, check the new AUP, and okay it through parents. I'll also have to have alternatives for those students who may not have text messaging capabilities or a cell phone. Overall, I really liked Poll Everywhere over other websites I have used because it offers a variety of choices to educators, as mentioned above, and I look forward to introducing it in my classroom this fall


No comments:

Post a Comment