Friday, August 5, 2011

812 Part D: Findings and Implications

Part D: Findings and Implications

As I mentioned in Part A of my Wicked Problem Project, due to limited resources for implementation over the summer, I have chosen instead to create the actual WebQuest this summer and have tested all links to ensure that students will be able to access all pages in the fall. Additionally, I asked a colleague of mine for feedback on the initial stages of my WebQuest, which I shared in a podcast for Part C of my Wicked Problem Project. The actual implementation of the WebQuest activity with video blogs will be completed in the fall by students enrolled in the “Applied Mathematics” course. The opportunity addressed in my Wicked Problem Project is to engage my students by making concrete connections through a pre-assessment/personal inventory WebQuest and video blogs to encourage more positive attitudes toward learning mathematics.

The WebQuest/video blogs will span the first two weeks of school (approximately five, 90-minute class periods) with all assignments and research done in class.  At least one class period will be dedicated to showing students how to create and edit videos. Class laptops are available as well as school computer labs to complete all components of the project. Students will be responsible for completing their own WebQuests and video blogs, though I address alternatives to this requirement later in this post.

As mentioned in Part C of my Wicked Problem Project, my colleague Margaret made note that my initial instructions were a bit vague and confusing. While Margaret said this was helpful for the introduction of the assignment, she thought that presenting the project in a “checklist” fashion, explicitly stating what was expected at each point of the project would seem less daunting for students. Through creating a “checklist” of performance tasks for students, I will be able to evaluate their participation and completion of each task as we go along (formative assessments). Providing a rubric for students will also help guide them in completing all tasks related to the project. Keeping this in mind, I believe that minimizing tasks to ten subtasks will receive more positive support than asking students to complete twenty. Additionally (and this is where the advantages of an English teacher come in!), I will need to be cognizant of my wording in the “checklist.” Like Margaret mentioned, I need to use clear, direct language so students are aware of the expectations for each part of the project. It’s also important to note that as students complete the performance tasks related to the project (formative assessments), I am also evaluating, modifying, and validating instruction throughout the process. For instance, if students are struggling to use the flip cameras or video programs, I as their teacher need to plan for additional time in class for students to complete those tasks.

I believe that indicators of a successful project will be 100% participation and completion of all components of the WebQuest and video blog activity.  While participation and (minimal) completion of tasks may seem like a very generalized assumption of student engagement, merely turning in assignments for many of my students will be considered a success. As far as student engagement goes, observing students’ interactions with one another, addressing their questions related to the project, and overall, the quality of their end video blog will be a good indicator of their personal connection to the assignment. Though this type of evaluation is less data-driven, as an educator, it is important to take an inventory of students’ energy levels and attitudes regarding activities and other tasks in order to evaluate how effective the mode of learning is. For instance, if students have a poor attitude about using the flip cameras or computer software (very well due to them not feeling confident using them), as a teacher, I need to acknowledge this and address those needs. An option could be to create groups, which will ease up on the responsibility of each student having to produce a video. Or, because it’s the first project of the year, maybe asking students to complete a simpler project (i.e. a wiki page) instead of an actual video would be better. Additionally, evaluating the resources I have at school could also benefit my students. For instance, asking the computer teacher or media center technician to teach students how to use the technology might be more beneficial because it’s a different voice in the classroom and the information is also coming from a source much more experienced than myself in these particular cases. Regardless of the modifications that take place, it’s the act of assessing students’ progress along the way that will provide the most accurate information regarding their understanding and engagement.

One of my delights through creating the WebQuest was coming across Zunal, which I’m excited to introduce to my colleagues in the fall. With WebQuests becoming more common and more relevant in the classroom, Zunal makes creating WebQuests a much simpler task. In regards to creating a rubric for the project and for evaluating the WebQuest, Zunal provides an entire resource page that includes four websites dedicated to evaluating WebQuests. Though the WebQuest and video blogs aren’t clear summative assessments because they're not necessarily evaluating students’ understanding of specific mathematical concepts, I believe this project has the potential to lay a solid foundation for students as they strive to make real-world connections to new mathematical concepts over the course of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I am impressed with all the thought you have put into your project. You have the forethought to think about potential problems that could arise during the project and know some solutions you could use. I would also plan to think about the students who might already know how to use the technology and how you will challenge them. Maybe they could have a goal of using a particular technique in their video or they could help teach others how to use the video editing program. Great job!

    ReplyDelete